Call for Board Members
Cape Breton Chorale Society is seeking volunteer Board Members
The Cape Breton Chorale is one of Nova Scotia’s most important choral groups, having
premiered and recorded many of the first choral arrangements of many beloved Nova Scotia
songs. The Chorale was initiated in 1973 by Sr. Rita Clare (1933-2017), music educator, choral
specialist, and School Board arts consultant.
The Chorale is excited to be planning a celebration of its 50-year Anniversary for the coming
Based in the Cape Breton Regional Municipality and holding its administrative and rehearsal
activities in Sydney, the Chorale is a not-for-profit organization with charitable status seeking to
provide greater support for its organization at the Board level as it moves into a new phase of
The priorities of this volunteer search are:
- to expand the administrative skill of the organization,
- to increase efficiency in its operations,
- to continue to build a socially and financially sustainable and resilient not-for-profit society.
Board Members support the activities of the Chorale, and the overall operations of the society.
They are expected to assist in meeting the mandate of the society and to work in support of the
artistic objectives of the choir.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Attend regular Board meetings, 8-10 per year.
- Serve on committees based on areas of expertise and/or interest, by attending meetings
and carrying out the work of those committees.
- Provide proactive service, governance, and insight in areas of expertise in consultation
with other key members of the organization.
- Serve a two-year term as a Board Member.
Qualifications and Skills
We are looking for people with experience in one or more of the following areas:
Administration, governance, accounting, performing arts management, leadership, creative
marketing, media relations, fundraising, strategic planning, EDIA initiatives.
Please send your name and contact information along with a letter of interest to
A PDF version of this notice is available here