The Cape Breton Chorale is celebrating its 50th Anniversary Year! As part of the 2023-2024 season, we are inviting submissions for our first competition for young composers.
The deadline for submissions is October 16, 2023.
The winning submission will be performed in
December of the 2023-2024 season at our concert, Christmas with the Cape Breton Chorale.
Prize Amount: $1500
Eligibility and Guidelines for Submission
This competition is open to Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and landed immigrants who are 35 years of age or younger. Submissions must not be previously commissioned,
performed, or published.
The work must be original, not an arrangement of an existing work. We encourage an individual creative approach to choral writing that suits our ensemble well. The submissions will be
adjudicated by a panel from the Cape Breton Chorale organization.
Composers should choose their own text, either a sacred text based on an aspect of the Christmas tradition or one that expresses universal, seasonal, and/or holiday themes. Texts
must be approved for public performance and recording or be in the public domain. Composers are responsible for securing permission from text copyright holders.
Length, Instrumentation, and Voicing
• Submissions should be 3-6 minutes in length.
• While there may be some a cappella sections, a piano accompaniment should be included.
• Solo(s) for soprano, alto and/or tenor may be included.
• SATB choir of approximately 40 singers. Soprano and Alto parts may include divisi.
• An additional instrument part may be included.
Scores must be clearly legible and may be handwritten or formatted with notation software. Submissions should be presented in open score format, with accompaniment set below the vocal parts. Closed score should only be used for sections with purely homophonic textures.
Instrument part(s), if applicable, should be included in the score above the vocal parts in concert key. A separate instrument part in the correct instrument transposition must also be included.
There is no entry fee for this competition.
Include the composer’s name, contact information, and title of work in the body of the email. Only the title of the work and text author (if different from composer) should be included as
part of any attached file.
Example: Christmas in Cape Breton.2023.pdf
The adjudication panel will see the anonymous scores. Composer identity will remain hidden from the panel until after the selection has been made.
Submit the score, any applicable instrument part, and/or text sheet (translations are appreciated, if applicable) of the completed work in PDF file format via email to the address included below. Include a letter of permission for use of the text, if applicable.
The inclusion of a notation software demo recording (mp3 or wav format) is appreciated but not required.
Selection, Awards, Performance
The organization will identify the winning composer and notify them by phone and/or email on or before November 1, 2023.
An honourable mention may be declared. In this case, we may ask the composer’s consent to perform their piece in December 2023 along with the winning composition.
A live performance of the winning composition will take place on December 17, 2023. The composer will receive a live recording of the piece within 60 days of the performance.
Full information available here
The Cape Breton Chorale celebrates 50 years of music-making in the 2023-2024 season!
Our 50th Anniversary year will begin on Thursday, August 31, 2023, and continue until the end May 2024. We are planning an exciting season of singing our own classics, along with some traditional choral repertoire and some new works. Come sing with us!
We welcome auditions from experienced or trainable singers who fit a combination of the following criteria:
• Some experience singing vocal harmony, either in choral settings or in productions.
• Understanding of some basics of vocal technique or demonstrated vocal confidence in
your audition performance.
• Openness to learning different styles of music in an ensemble setting.
Important assets to the Chorale include:
• Commitment to rehearsals and performance schedules.
• Willingness to study and learn concert music outside of rehearsal – independently or with
• Openness to learning new skills and expanding upon existing skills (vocal, aural, rhythm,
For your Cape Breton Chorale audition:
• We'll send you a short choral excerpt to learn in advance of the audition.
• Please sing a short solo; a 30-60 second excerpt of a piece in any comfortable style.
• An accompanist will be provided, or you may sing a capella.
• We will check your musicianship skills, and your range with some simple vocal patterns.
Auditions are in Sydney, NS on Wednesday August 30 and 31, 2023.
Please contact us to arrange an audition!
Phone – 902 968 9041